Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Loneliness of the Long-distance Cancer Patient

Truthfully, at least in my case, there's no such thing.  Every day I have a treatment, I am reminded that I have more people in my corner than I have any right to.  The second half of the radiation rotation is full up -- and, unbelievably, I have a waiting list.

The team in Unit 10 is getting used to me having a new chaperone, each visit.  On the occasions when my date for the day is a man -- and, therefore, doesn't venture into the treatment room to see me topless -- the technicians always want to know whether I have a friend along.  I think it'd be as big a disappointment to them as it would be to me to venture in alone.

Starting today, the remaining play list looks like this:

The Communicator
Jockette*
Dollar Girl
Hollywood*
Marathon Girl*
The Free Agent*
Helmet-head
Miguel
My Fair Lady
The Source
G20
Dynamo
The Bride*
Skipper
Lucy's Aunt

* it's round two for these brave souls

No comments:

Post a Comment