Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Ups and Downs on the Cancer Coaster

The Dutchman’s assistant called, yesterday, with a fist full of information. First – and most fabulous – a surgery date: January 26. Sooner than I’d expected, which is dynamite. And more than two weeks in advance of my planned Olympic departure, which is even better.

Second – and far less exciting – an order for another biopsy. ANOTHER biopsy. A THIRD fucking biopsy.  Four months in on Monday, and they're still sticking pins in my breast-shaped voodoo doll.  If the strategy is to perform a lumpectomy five cores at a time, they’re on the right track. I thought we’d done all of that we needed to, but this go-round they’re apparently looking for evidence of invasive cancer (i.e. something other than DCIS). If it’s found, my surgery will be adjusted to include a sentinel lymph node biopsy (http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/therapy/sentinel-node-biopsy), in order to determine whether the cancer has spread. My third date with The Dutchman is set for January 7; no dinner and a movie, just biopsy results and a confirmed plan for surgery.

So, back on the table, but this time at Princess Margaret Hospital. I’ve now sampled the biopsy suites at three facilities: PMH wins, hands down. They were able to squeeze me in (pardon the mammographic pun) today, rather than make me wait ‘til the new year. I hated that idea, yesterday, but now, on the other side of the procedure and a lousy night’s sleep, I’m glad it’s over.

Third – and most annoying – I’ll be scheduled for a do-over on the dreaded MRI. But, this time, I’ll go armed with a sedative. Crap, I hope it’s a strong one.

No comments:

Post a Comment