Monday, October 3, 2011

Brush With Fame: The Mammogram Edition

Mammograms have become routine for me.  Paperwork first, strip to the waist, titwich, results in two weeks.  This time, it was the prelude that proved unexpected.

I'd already handled steps one and two, and was sitting in the patients' waiting room obsessively checking my BlackBerry.  Another woman entered -- diminutive, Asian, and fully clothed, unlike the three of us in our gowned glory -- and sat.  There's usually a volunteer hovering with pens and clipboards and a kind smile, but she was AWOL just at that moment.  So, when the newest of our number asked in a distinctive voice whether anyone had a pen she could borrow, I answered the formerly vice-regal call.
Most Canadians have to do something heroic or grand or world-changing to exchange pleasantries with dignitaries.  But here I was lending a pen and a magazine to our 26th GG, and all because I kept a medical appointment.  Not much heroic in that, but it'll make a great story for weeks to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment