Thursday, February 11, 2010

Date for a Do-over

The Dutchman can't keep his hands off me.  At today's pathology meeting, he told me that the 7+ cm lesion he removed included a small area (1.2 cm) of invasive cancer.  It's stage one, so still a low score on the scareometer.  But it means he wants to go back for more tissue and -- totally ugh -- a sentinel node biopsy -- with an axillary node dissection, if pathology while I'm on the table shows malignant cells in the node.  Shit.

So that 'cancer light' nonsense I've been so smug about is history;  it appears I'm dealing with the real thing. Did I say "shit" already?

Surgery will take place in another four weeks or so (there goes IADB in Cancun), followed by radiation six weeks after that (bye bye ADB in Uzbekistan) -- or worse (arividerchi Central Bank in Rome).  Oh, and a node dissection would mean I'd come home with a drain, this time.  Surely I haven't said "shit" yet.

On the upside, this surgery won't include wires (though I will get the bee sting of injectable dye), I'll get more time off work without using any vacation days, and I'll get to spend more time with the BFF.  Not so bad, after all.

1 comment:

  1. .... seriously why can't we have one-stop-shopping in this profession? HUGS!!!

    ReplyDelete